Sunday, February 27, 2011

Just the two of us

It has never really been just the two of us. When Mark and I were dating, he was already a father of two so every other weekend he had "dad duties." On his "off" weekends it was just the two of us but we were both really busy with second jobs and friends that we never had tons of time for "just the two of us." This is what we looked like when we were dating. Young, happy, carefree, and did I mention young!

About nine weeks after we got married we found out I was three weeks pregnant! Taking it slow just isnt our thing. So we quickly went from very little time for just the two of us to almost none at all. This is us on our amazing wedding day!
We went home that night and since it was his weekend with Nolan and Gracie, they spent our wedding night with us....literally, they ended up in bed with us! Soon, I became fat and pregnant with Mason and I loved it! We went from having children in our home every other weekend to all the time within the first year of being married.

My parents do not live close by. Mark's mom doesn't drive at night, in the rain, in the fog, or if its too windy, so we have come to believe that date nights will be few and far between. We are totally fine with that. We catch our alone time when we can. Once Kade came along, alone time became even HARDER to find as he never really slept and I was always holding him.

Well, last night was WONDERFUL. It was our weekend where it was just the little boys. Once Mason and Kade went to bed, Mark and I watched a movie, just the two of us. It was comical going through the On Demand list. There are so many movies I want to watch with the kids....but this was grown up night! So, we settled on Social Network. We ate our candy bars, drank our rootbeers, and stayed up watching an adult movie together....it was AWESOME!

I choose to not use babysitters too much. I don't like to pay someone to tuck my children in bed when that is something I really like to do. If I was working and we were not on such a tight budget I might feel differently but for now, babysitters are not my thing. Plus the one we love and trust is a senior so she is always busy, which we totally understand. I choose to live three hours from my family so I can not complain or get jealous when my friends get nights out where their parents keep the children all night. I enjoy the once a year when Mark and I have different stuff going on that my mom takes them or the times I do have a sitter.

But I tell you one thing. A quiet evening at home with Mark reminded me of all the movie nights we had when we were dating. How tired we would be from working and we would come home and just sit quietly in the same room watching something we both enjoyed.  I wish we had more time for nights like last night but I wouldn't trade our loud, messy, always on the go life for anything.  We aren't the same younger couple in the first picture but we have so much more in our lives right now. I think our marriage would benefit from more movie nights like last night and hopefully we will slow down enough to take time for "just the two of us".

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! You and Mark are perfect for each other! Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete